Hello Everyone, here are the key points from february meetig of the SLaM service user / carer advisory group for mood, anxiety & personality disorder. Please circulate to service users/groups as appropriate.
SERVICE USER ADVISORY GROUP: Supporting people who use Services for Mood, Anxiety & Personality Disorders, through collaborative work with Service Managers
The Service User Advisory Group is part of the Mood, Anxiety & Personality (MAP) Clinical Academic Group – an organisational structure which manages services for mood, anxiety & personality disorder across the South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM). The Advisory Group members have experience of using mental health services and meet every month. We work with the senior management of the mood, anxiety & personality disorder services to keep the views of service users at the heart of all service developments and improvements. To make sure that people know what we are discussing in our meetings we have developed this short briefing sheet.
1) Three service users were present at the February meeting, plus the Public & Patient Involvement (PPI) Lead, the clinical governance project officer the Equalities Manager from SLaM, the Co-ordinator from ‘Four in Ten’ and the services lead MAP community teams in Lambeth. Apologies were received from 3 members.
2) We heard that 15 people had expressed interest in joining the group following the recent publicity. The PPI lead is meeting them all individually and developing a profile of their interest & experience. Group members will then review the anonymised profiles to identify who would be the best fit with the needs of the group. We will work together to develop a welcome and induction process to the group for new members.
3) We discussed involvement and patient experience with the Lambeth Clinical Service Lead for the MAP community teams. We suggested that she contacts staff in Southwark, where there are service user forums happening within the service.
4) The equalities manager outlined how SLaM needs to consider how provision of services and changes to them may impact differently on both service users and staff in relation to the following ‘protected’ characteristics: Age, gender, sexual orientation, transgender, disability, ethnicity, pregnancy, marital status and religion/belief. We were invited to read and comment on the recent report about progress in this area. We will also be informed of the forthcoming process to set equality objectives for the year. For more information contact Macius Kurowski: 020 3228 1675 Macius.firstname.lastname@example.org
5) We met Peter, the project co-ordinator of Four in Ten which is a service user group for lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender (LGBT) SLaM service users. We hope that members of Four in Ten will be able to feedback their concerns about psychological medicine CAG services to our group for consideration. We will make sure that the group receives this briefing sheet. For more information contact Peter Vittles 07711376258 email@example.com
6) A group member told us about the peer support project in Lambeth ‘Solidarity in a Crisis’ where he is a peer supporter.
7) We were updated on the proposed audit of discharge processes in Southwark. This is a joint venture between SLaM and the Southwark User Council. A member of the Southwark Association for Mental Health Ltd, will join a small working group to take this forward.
8) We heard about a forthcoming meeting for advisory group members to look at business planning in the MAP and Psychological Medicine CAGs.
pdf version here: Briefing Sheet feb 2013
with best wishes,
Patient & Public Involvement Lead – Mood Anxiety & Personality CAG and Psychological Medicine CAG
email: firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 020 3228 0959
113 Denmark Hill |The Maudsley Hospital | Denmark Hill | London | SE5 8AZ