SLaM is continuing their very successful Empowering Family and Carer Events. There will be 4 events this year with one specifically for Forensic Services. All events have a different theme with presentations based on this theme.
They are an opportunity for family members and carers to find out about how SLaM operates, what they can expect for themselves and their loved ones and how they can access these services. There are ‘surgeries’ for carers to meet professionals, get information about benefits, support services, medication, care and treatment and raise any concerns or complaints they have regarding the people they care for.
The first one will be on Thursday 2 May in Lambeth and the theme will be Welfare Benefits and Support Services. Please see poster attached for more information: SLAM153 – Empowering Family-Carers May 2013 and booking from here: Booking Form May 2013
Please help us to advertise this event by passing this on to Carers & Family members and also Service Users so they can pass it to their carers and include it in your newsletter or website and display the poster. Please note this event is for Carers and Family members only but we are always looking for staff to be involved in delivering the event.
For more information, to book a place or you want to find out how you can be involved in helping to deliver the event please contact
Angela.Mitchell@slam.nhs.uk Tel: 020 3228 3722 Mob: 07837984608
Hear Us is holding our March Open Meeting
Are you treated with respect???????
The subject will be: Dignity in Care and Safeguarding Vulnerable adults
Guest Speaker: Vincent Docherty from Croydon Council’s Safe Guarding Service
- Receive care for your mental health – e.g. from your GP, a community mental health team such as Tamworth Road or Purley Resource Centre or as an inpatient e.g. at the Bethlem or in a care home
- Care for someone who has mental health problems
- Are an organisation that supports/cares for people with mental health problems
THEN THIS MEETING IS FOR YOU
DATE: Tuesday March 5th
TIME: 1pm (starting with LUNCH) (please note that Hear Us had decided to reduce the length of our meetings and we will be finishing by around 3pm)
VENUE: Croydon Voluntary Action (CVA) 82, London Road, West Croydon, CR0 2TB (opposite Lidl)
DIRECTIONS from West Croydon Train/bus station – turn right out of the station and the CVA is just 5 minute’s walk away.
Various flyers and info here:
Hear Us welcomes carers, voluntary sector organisations, statutory bodies and most importantly people with personal experience of Mental Health problems to our meetings – to have your voices heard.
All the Best
SLaM (South London & Maudsley) are currently running a series of Focus Groups in order to highlight issues with Privacy & Dignity within both inpatient and outpatient care spheres.
To be treated with privacy and dignity can mean many things to different people. Examples of these include, attitudes and behaviours of staff, communication, the environment, privacy to protect peoples modesty, confidentiality, to have nutritional needs met and to be free from abuse.
- It is often the case that carers know a huge amount about where there are holes in service provision and where problems are to be found, as well how to fix them and improve things!
- If you are a carer then this focus group is for you or perhaps you know or have a great carer in which case please let them know.View the flyer for this event CLICK HERE:Carers Privacy Dignity Flyer 2012
Focus Group Details
When?: 13th March 2012
What time?: 2PM – 3:30PM
Where?: 111 Denmark Hill
Map: CLICK HERE
Are refreshments provided?:YES!- For more information or, if you are unable to come to the group, but would like to give your views, please contact: Alice Glover
Tel: 020 3228 0959 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be some changes to the way that we provide psychological therapies services in Lambeth, Southwark & Lewisham.
Why are changes being made?
- There are several different services providing psychological therapies in Lambeth Southwark & Lewisham. At the moment the way people are referred to particular services can be confusing for service users and for staff who make the referrals.
- Service users have given us feedback to say that they do not like having repeated assessments, and going through a lengthy process to get the therapy that they need.
- In Lambeth & Southwark a lot of money has gone into the development of new services providing psychological therapies which are available through GP’s (the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services). This means that there is less money available for the more specialised psychological treatments.
- In Lewisham the services have historically been less well developed so the amount of money available for specialised psychological treatments is being maintained. However, as with all NHS organisations, we need to provide services for less money by being more efficient.
What are the changes?
- We are proposing that each borough will have one psychological therapy service. For example, this would mean that all psychological therapy services in Lambeth will be delivered in one place rather than at both St. Thomas’s & Maudsley Hospital as happens at the moment.
- In Lambeth & Southwark there will be 22% less money available. This will mean there will be some reduction in staff and in the number of sessions of therapy available. In Lewisham the amount of money available will reduce by 11.2% however, this will not result in a reduction in therapy sessions. We do not expect waiting lists to rise, but if they do we will ensure more therapy is provided.
- All referrals will go through the same system meaning that people should be referred to the right service more straightforwardly than they are now.
- A range of both individual and group therapies will still be available in all the boroughs.
- We plan to start changing the services from June this year.
How can I find out more & give my views about the plans? please see attached flyers and information sheet for details. There is a more detailed document available for anyone who is interested.
Patient & Public Involvement Lead – Mood Anxiety & Personality CAG and Psychological Medicine CAG
Documents recently updated with detail added – take a look!
March’s Main Theme is Mediation – Also talks with professionals about care and treatment as well as Peer Support
Taster session and information on workshops, welfare benefits & support services, medication, and lots… lots more.
Refreshments are also provided
View the flyer for the event CLICK HERE:Empowering Family-Carers Poster A4 March 2012
To download a booking form in Microsoft Word Format CLICK HERE:Booking Form March 2012
Simply return this form which you can complete at home to the email address at the bottom of this post.
When: Thursday 8th March 2012
What time: 3. 15pm – 6 :30pm
How do I get there?: VIEW MAP
If you have any further questions or require information or simply wish to return your booking form for the event then please direct all correspondence to Email:
– Please note event open to ALL carers – staff wishing to attend must get in contact first.