10 Facts About Benefits BritainPosted: February 24, 2014
1) A TUC survey showed that people think around 41% of benefits go to the unemployed, the real figure is 2.6%.
2) 42% of the Welfare Bill goes to pensioners, 21% goes to people in low paid work.
3) Nearly 80% of JSA claimants stop claiming within 6 months.
4) 77% of people claiming unemployment benefits have one or two children.
5) A TUC survey found that people think around 27% of welfare is lost to fraud – the real figure is only 0.7%, around £1.2 billion.
6) £1.3 billion of benefits that people are entitled to goes unclaimed every year.
7) Immigrants are 60% less likely to claim benefits than a British-born person.
8) 64% of families receive benefits – that’s 20.3 million families.
9) The UK spends 12% less on benefits per head than France does, and 19% less compared to Germany.
10) 93% of new Housing Benefit claimants in 2010 and 2011 came from working people, as UK housing costs are the 3rd highest in Europe.